5 women accuse comedian Louis C.K. of sexual misconduct in N.Y. Times report
The accusers said the prominent writer, producer and actor masturbated in front of them or over the phone. Four of the women allowed their names to be used.
UPDATE: HBO, Netflix and the FX Networks have all ended their relationships with Louis C.K. On Sept. 10, the comedian issued this statement:
I want to address the stories told to the New York Times by five women named Abby, Rebecca, Dana, Julia who felt able to name themselves and one who did not.
These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my d*** without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your d*** isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly.
I have been remorseful of my actions. And I’ve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position.
I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn’t want to hear it. I didn’t think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it.
There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with.
I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.
The hardest regret to live with is what you’ve done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I’d be remiss to exclude the hurt that I’ve brought on people who I work with and have worked with who’s professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You Daddy. I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. I’ve brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie. and every other entity that has bet on me through the years.
I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.
I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want.
I will now step back and take a long time to listen.
ORIGINAL STORY: Another day, another grim Hollywood scandal.
The long-rumored allegations of sexual misconduct by comedian Louis C.K. were published on Nov. 9 by the New York Times.
Five women said the prominent writer/producer/actor masturbated in front of them or over the phone. Four of the women allowed their names to be used.
Shortly before the story was published, that night's red carpet premiere in New York City of a film that Louis C.K. wrote and directed was cancelled. And the film’s distributor has announced it will no longer release that film, “I Love You, Daddy," which was scheduled to be in theaters on Nov. 17.
After the New York Times story was published, HBO announced that Louis C.K. would no longer appear on the network's Nov. 18 benefit concert, “Night of Too Many Stars: America Unites for Autism Programs,” and that it is removing the comedian's past HBO projects from its On Demand services.
Earlier this year, Louis C.K. signed a deal with Netflix for two stand-up comedy specials. The first one aired in April and Netflix has announced it has cancelled the second special.
And on the afternoon of Sept. 10, after Louis C.K. issued his apology, FX Networks issued this statement:
"Today, FX Networks and FX Productions are ending our association with Louis C.K. We are cancelling the overall deal between FX Productions and his production company, Pig Newton. He will no longer serve as executive producer or receive compensation on any of the four shows we were producing with him – Better Things, Baskets, One Mississippi and The Cops.
Louis has now confirmed the truth of the reports relating to the five women victimized by his misconduct, which we were unaware of previously. As far as we know, his behavior over the past 8 years on all five series he has produced for FX Networks and/or FX Productions has been professional. However, now is not the time for him to make television shows. Now is the time for him to honestly address the women who have come forth to speak about their painful experiences, a process which he began today with his public statement.
FX Networks and FX Productions remain committed to doing everything we can to ensure that all people work in an environment that is safe, respectful and fair, and we will continue our review of all of these productions to ensure that was and is the case."
And "Better Things" star and executive producer Pamela Adlon issued this statement:
"My family and I are devastated and in shock after the admission of abhorrent behavior by my friend and partner, Louis C.K. I feel deep sorrow and empathy for the women who have come forward. I am asking for privacy at this time for myself and my family. I am processing and grieving and hope to say more as soon as I am able."
Listen to John Horn's interview with Melena Ryzik, one of the New York Times reporters who broke the story, but clicking on the button at the top of this page.