Investigators to seek Jenner's phone records after fatal crash
Investigators plan to seek drivers' phone records in a fatal crash involving Olympic gold medalist and reality TV star Bruce Jenner Saturday. Sheriff's officials said there was some indication cell phone use may have played a part in the collision, which shut down a portion of the Pacific Coast Highway Saturday.
Investigators are still completing their review of the scene — taking photos, measuring skid tracks and completing a scaled drawing of the scene as they found it, L.A. County sheriff sergeant Philip Brooks said Sunday.
The next step in the process will be to look into drivers' phone records from the time of the accident.
"Investigators will follow up with him and other parties to determine if cell phones could be a factor," Brooks said, "and at that time they would try to obtain cell phone records if necessary."
He added that officials could issue a subpoena to cell phone service providers, but that probably wouldn't happen until Monday or Tuesday, he said.
"It's very difficult to determine the time of a crash in relation to [use of] a cell phone," Brooks added. "You could have been on the phone and then hung up the phone and then crashed, and therefore [cell phone use] is not a significant factor."
A 69-year-old woman was killed in the crash. Five other people were taken to St. Johns Hospital in Santa Monica for treatment. Brooks said those injuries appeared to be minor.
Brooks said earlier that a preliminary investigation determined that an SUV driven by Jenner appears to have started the four-car collision after it hit a white Lexus from behind.
The collision shut down a portion of the Pacific Coast Highway for hours.
The cars involved in Saturday's crash have been impounded and are being checked to make sure mechanical factors aren't to blame in the incident, Brooks said.
This story has been updated. This story has been corrected to reflect the number of vehicles involved in the collision.