Super Bowl XLVIII: Best sports bars to watch the game in Southern California
This year's Super Bowl not only features the number one seeds from the NFC and the AFC, but also the number one offense (Denver Broncos) against the number one defense (Seattle Seahawks). Peyton Manning has a chance to solidify his position as one of the all-time great quarterbacks.
But even if you don't care about football, there are always the ads and the halftime show (featuring Bruno Mars this year). There's also the added excitement of seeing the game played in the bright lights of New York — or New Jersey at least. It's the first time the Super Bowl has been played in a cold-weather city outdoors.
Assuming you can't make it to MetLife Stadium, here are some places to watch the game here in Southern California:
If you're a Broncos fan:
- Brennan's Pub (4089 Lincoln Blvd., Marina del Rey) Brennan's is best known as the pub where they race turtles. Yes, really. It's also home base of the L.A. Denver Broncos meetup group. The pub is setting up additional TVs and bars outside to accomodate the hundreds of Broncos fans who are expected to turn out on Sunday.
- Hooters (2438 E. Katella Ave., Anaheim) Not the classiest location, but this is where the Orange County Broncos meetup group convenes.
If you're a Seahawks fan:
- Backstage Bar & Grille (10400 Culver Blvd., Culver City) This isn't even a sports bar, but over the last eight years this dark Culver City watering hole has become known nationwide as one of the best places to catch a Seahawks game outside Centurylink Stadium. It's the official bar of theL.A. Seahawks meet-up group and has earned shout-outs from coach Pete Carroll on Twitter and regular visits from some of the players' families. The bar fills up quickly, though, and even if you get in, you're very unlikely to find a seat.
- Joxer's Daly (11168 W. Washington Blvd., Culver City) When Backstage fills up, Seahawks fans head down the street to this Irish Pub.
- Rush Street(9546 W. Washington Blvd., Culver City) Another place Seahawks fans go to when Backstage fills up. Bonus: You can usually get a table, and the food is great.
- The Tap Shack (1617 Westcliff Dr., Newport Beach) A popular Seahawks bar in Orange County.
- King's Row Gastropub (20 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena) Pasadena Seahawks fans are heading to this gastropub.
If you don't care who wins:
- Moonpad LA (25 S .Boyle Ave., Los Angeles) This downtown L.A. hostel is hosting a Super Bowl party with all the essentials: wings, beer and a jumbo screen. A $25 VIP admission gets you two drink tickets and all-you-can-eat hot wings.
- Katsuya Glendale(702 Americana Way, Glendale) Sushi and football? Why not? Katsuya is hosting a Japanese-influenced Super Bowl party, starting at noon.
- Busby's(3110 Santa Monica Blvd., Santa Monica, and 5364 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles) Some of the TVs are in desperate need of replacement, and the burgers can come out overcooked, but Busby's is still one of L.A.'s funnest sports bars.
- The Parlor (7250 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles) A sleek sports bar on Melrose with a large patio in the front where you can catch the game if it's a nice day.
If you don't want to buy $7 beer
- Grab a six-pack, gather your friends, heat up some nachos, turn on Fox, and you can have the best Super Bowl party ever, in the comfort of your living room. (And look for KPCC's guide to throwing the perfect Super Bowl party later this week.)
Have a better suggestion for where to watch Super Bowl XLVIII? Add it to the comments section below.