Albertsons to close 19 Southern California stores
Albertsons said it will close 19 stores in Southern California, as part of a larger effort by its parent company to cut costs.
The majority of the stores, located in areas that range from Long Beach to Rowland Heights, will be shut down by the end of the year. Albertson’s declined to say how many workers will be laid off.
The store closures are part of an initiative by Albertsons parent company Supervalu Inc. Supervalu is shuttering a total of 60 underperforming stores in its Albertsons, ACME and Jewel-Osco chains.
Eight additional stores included in the total were not specifically named due to contract discussions.
Supervalu estimates it will gain $80 to $90 million in cash over the next three years by closing the stores. The company also owns the real estate for one-third of the 60 underperforming stores and plans to generate money off of it.
“These decisions are never easy because of the impact a store closure has on our team members, our customers and our communities,” said Wayne Sales, Supervalu’s president and CEO. “Today’s announcement reflects our commitment to move with a greater sense of urgency to reduce costs and improve shareholder value.”
Albertsons spokeswoman Lilia Rodriguez declined to comment on whether more store closures are coming.
“We don’t speculate,” she said.
Stores that will be closed:
- Anaheim, at Brookhurst and Katella
- Buena Park, at Dale and La Palma
- Covina, at Azusa and Cypress
- Culver City, at Mesmer and Jefferson (Closed)
- Fullerton, at Harbor Boulevard and Imperial Highway
- Glendale, at Central and Chevy Chase
- Garden Grove, Harbor and Garden Grove Boulevard
- Hacienda Heights, at Colima Road
- Long Beach, at 7th and Redondo
- Los Angeles, at Baldwin Hills
- Moreno Valley, at Pigeon Pass and Ironwood
- Norco, at Hamner Avenue and Hidden Valley Parkway
- Ontario at Grove Avenue and Walnut Street
- Northridge, at Devonshire and Reseda
- Riverside, at Limonite and Clay
- Rowland Heights, at Colima and Fairway Drive
- Van Nuys, at Van Nuys and Sherman
- Victorville, at Bear Valley and Amethyst Roads
- Walnut, at Amar and Nogales